Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Outcome: Sex and the City v. Anna

Um, yeah. Jackie is a liar. She showed me the wrong episode and somehow thought I'd want to watch another to see if it was the right one. Um, nah, I think I'll pass.

So before I watched this show, I had set myself certain goals. These goals were not to say the following phrases while watching:
"Bimbos."
"Why the long face, Sarah Jessica Parker?"
"Bimbos."
"What in the hell does that mean?"
"This is stupid."

And, like I tell the unwilling students in my class, you can't call something stupid if you've never tried it. I can, as of last night, call Sex in the City stupid.

I did succeed in not saying most of those phrases. I did say "What in the hell does that mean?" and "Why would someone do that?", but I did not say "bimbos", "This is stupid", or "Why the long face, Sarah Jessica Parker?". I did, on another note, figure out why her face is so long. Not as in an accident or something, but where the actual extra length is. It's that space between her cheekbones and cheeks - that's why her nose is the right distance from her eyes and mouth, but it's really long. It's like there is a stretching of just that one inch of face into three.

In all fairness, I did laugh. There was a gift-wrapped sex toy with a bow on it. That was pretty funny. But the rest of it was annoying. I didn't understand the situations or why the characters would do what they did.

The score is: Anna, 1. Sex in the City, 1. That's because I did laugh, so the show gets a point, but I also was still just as annoyed, so I get a point.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Anna, You make me think I really haven't missed anything by not watching Sex in the City. Something I liked better must have been on at the same time. But I tend to not like the same shows others just love anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I should put what Rachel J. sent as a reply by email:

    NO!!!! If you watch S&C you HAVE to rent/buy the seasons on DVD and watch them from the beginning. It's a show with a plot that runs through the whole thing. If you just pick out a random episode, you'll be way too confused. But, that being said, the first episode (the pilot episode) does a really good job setting up the parameters about what the show entails. I suggest you begin......at the beginning.

    Love ya!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Point number one: I've seen my share of Sex in the City episodes and still don't understand the hype. I think the show does very little for anyone. Except it creates yet again unrealistic coincidences and circumstances.

    Point number two: Just now I read a horrible article published by none other than Cosmo, which should really go hand in hand with S&C. Said article can be found at: http://lifestyle.msn.com/relationships/articlecosmo.aspx?cp-documentid=18187588

    Point number three: Here in lies the problem to society. Okay, not really, but yep I think so at the moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think their clothes are ugly and do people really wear those clothes in NYC?

    ReplyDelete