Saturday, March 21, 2009

Things that move on their own

So, as promised, I had an encounter with an animated inanimate object. I didn't get a chance to plan this one or take pictures, so my recollection of the events will have to suffice.

Anyways, I wanted to be around one of these objects and not twitch or freak out. I forgot that the best place to see the creepy bastards was not Wal-Mart, as I had previously thought, but my granny's house. Granny decorates for all occasions, including the patriotic ones. Her decorations often move by their own accord, though they don't have souls. Maybe that's why I'm afraid of them - they move and have no soul. Maybe they eat souls. Like dementors.

Granny's already decorated for Easter - a holiday she won't even be in town for, mind. She's getting ready to go to North Carolina to visit her sister for the week of Easter. While I was home for Spring Break, I rarely saw Granny. I decided to visit during my last night in town, which was Thursday.

The night seemed harmless enough. We watched high school basketball on South Dakota Public Broadcasting, which was impressively almost professional coverage. But as the game ended, Granny wanted to show me something that my Aunt Cathy had given her for Easter. Here is where the item comes in.

I've tried, in vain, to find a video of the offending bunny. Oh well. The point is that Granny set it a few feet from me, obviously excited about her new toy, and pushed the button. It immediately sang "Here Comes Peter Cottontail" in a high-pitched voice while bouncing. It bounced so much she had to make sure it didn't fall off the table. She was watching me, assuming I'd be all excited too, so I tried to smile and not twitch. I think I managed a grimace and an "Oh, that's awful . . . cute, isn't it?"

I feel bad. She was so excited, but I was so obviously uncomfortable. Anyways, I didn't twitch, but I'm still freaked out by the things. I think inanimate animate objects may be the one thing that will always get me. They win.

As a consolation, here's a video of the Night of the Lepus trailer. Rabbits can kill, see?

2 comments:

  1. You can exist without a soul, you know, as long as your brain and heart are still working you would just be an empty shell or and inanimate object... or you could have the imperius curse on you then when someone pushed a button you would have to do the peter cotton tail song. But I think I am in agreement with you like a wise man once said... "Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain"

    ReplyDelete
  2. But, when talking about me and scary things, isn't it the same to speak of minds and souls?

    ReplyDelete