Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A Return to Challenges Based on Fear

After two visual media related challenges, I've decided to return to physical objects. Namely, either my fear of certain textures, either fabric or plasticized stuff, or my fear of animate inanimate objects.

Textures that I don't like include raw chicken, as conquered earlier, and fuzzy stringy children's toys. I also don't like the feel of certain plastic products or gooey things. It's pretty general.

Animate inanimate objects are those objects that are not alive, but move without human control. Examples of these include reindeer made out of lights at Christmas, witches that stand outside of doors and talk and move during Halloween, and nearly anything with motion censors.

Obviously, I can't check these out from the library or eat them, so I either need to purchase them and keep them or find a way to try them out without keeping them. Luckly, both the textures and animate inanimate objects are available at Wal-Mart in the toy section. Most of these things are in packages that allow them to be touched or tried out, so I'm thinking this is the most efficient and least scary way to do this. And it means that Jackie could view it while at work, or that I could go with my sisters over my Spring Break.

4 comments:

  1. You should check with local family/friends with family in the area they may have decorations for the holidays that you could use for free and not get taken out of the store by ambulance due to the seizure like twitches you may have with this challenge ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or you could go with me over spring break. We could go to the Wal-Mart with the collapsed roof (again). Actually not again, but still. How many times is that now? I think this would be an interesting experience to witness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wal-Mart has collapsed three times - two in the dairy/eggs department and once in the garden center. The garden center collapse was the outdoor chain link part covered in tarps in front of the store that basically just collected snow on top until it crumpled. What moron designed that building?

    And yes, we should go. I think that's the best solution. I'll need you to take pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd be glad to help with the picture taking.

    Also, I was sprayed with silly string by a battery-operated witch many Halloweens ago. Animate inanimate object + slimy texture pelting me = The Worst Sort of Revulsion.

    ReplyDelete